Empowered drivers, Safer Roads.
A society free from road CRASHES
& associated effects
Commemoration of the World day of rememberence for traffic victims Sunday 20th November,2022 REMEMBER , SUPPORT , ACT
Who We Are
UPDN is a Network NGO for drivers’ associations/organizations and related industry stakeholders. UPDN was established in 2015 and registered as a legal entity with the National NGO Board under the Ministry of Internal Affairs in 2016. This was at a time when many drivers’ associations were characterized by limited organization which adversely affected coordination efforts in pursuit of common objectives of better health (welfare), common voice and professionalism. UPDN was hence established to coordinate efforts towards healthier drivers who are empowered and are road safety conscious.
Coordinate community based approaches to improved health and wellness of drivers in Uganda through;
Coordinating HIV services demand among truck drivers in Uganda with support from Global Fund for TB/HIV through MARPI-ending December 2020
We have started implementation of World Bank support to Skills Development Facility (PSFU) under a consortium of UPDN, UDSA, Safe Way Right Way aiming at training and certifying for Heavy Goods Vehicle Driver trainers and 150 HGV drivers for anticipated oil and gas sector.
UPDN has mobilized 30 existing driver savings groups and is in process of supporting formation of new ones in every locality of drivers community to promote harmonization of their different saving groups locally, regionally and nationally; with the aim of supporting formation of a National microfinance/Bank for drivers
Promote continuing skills building among drivers Overall strategy: (International collaboration)
- Seek accreditation status with Directorate of Industrial Training (MoES) for certification of informal drivers.
- Strategically position to offer professional driver testing and accreditation
- Collaborate establishment of a National Qualification framework for drivers roll out programme for specialized and continuous driver professional development
Increase advocacy on road safety Overall strategy (networking and coalition building) Strategic Actions
Reform on driver training, assessment and grading of permits
- Standard and Accreditation system for driver/instructor training schools
- Independent driver competence assessment agency (not police)
- Driver permit grading to be based on driver specialty training and competence