The National Drivers Conference and Road Transport Stakeholders Excellence Awards
Annual National Drivers’ Conference & Road Transport Stakeholders’ Excellence Awards was established with the sole purpose of bringing together road transport industry stakeholders to interact and discuss partinent industry issues in the dynamic road transport sector post COVID19. The event shall provide and prepare the industry for the demand of professional practitioners in the anticipated oil and gas sector then honouring and recognising best practices among existing practitioners including their contributions to road safety and costs of operations for companies/organisations’ transport departments in a country like Uganda where over 95% of our goods and passengers move using the road.
UPDN is coordinating this event in collaboration with sector players as; The Private Sector Foundation of Uganda (PSFU), The Ministry of Works and Transport, Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), Safe Way Right Way Uganda, The Nicole Foundation Uganda, Hope for Victims of Road Traffic Accidents (HOVITA) and Uganda Road Accident Reduction Network Organisation (URRENO): with committed support from Bloomberg Philanthropies and others like you.
Currently, 11 people get killed on our roads daily in Uganda. In 2021, the number of road crashes increased by 42% and people killed increased by nearly 1000; from 3,663 in 2020 to 4,159, according to Uganda Police Traffic report 2021. Globally, we have agreed to an ambitious target of reducing road deaths and serious injuries by 50% come year 2030. This is in line with SDG 3.11 and Uganda is finalising the National Road Safety Action Plan in line with the Global target for decade of road safety.DN was established in 2014 and registered as a legal entity with the National NGO Board under the Ministry of Internal Affairs in 2016.
UPDN is active in advocating for an improvement in the welfare of professional drivers in Uganda, their livelihood and health. These three components are interwoven to build a homely, non-descriminative environment where professional drivers’ needs are wholesomely addressed.
A 2020 baseline study revealed that out of estimated 120,000 heavy commercial vehicle drivers in Uganda; 97.6% had trained through peers (informally), 1.3% were trained in house, 0.85% went through sales safety training and only 0.25% underwent formal training. Out of those who had received specialised training, 68% got the training from Kenya, 22% from Tanzania and only 10% from Uganda. Besides this, Ugandan drivers and their leaders hardly have opportunities to participate in capacity building, Networking and team building platforms as this.Financial literacy and HIV burden are serious topics requiring attention of commercial drivers and their employers for a sustainable transport sector.
Uganda Professional Drivers’ Network, is currently working with Commercial Drivers’ Associations, licensed Passenger/Goods Vehicle Driver Training schools, selected professional drivers’ employers in Uganda; who resolved to having an annual Commercial Drivers’ conference and industry awards that would enable stakeholders above to network, share ideas and set targets for joint strategies to complementing each other’s effort to improve and reverse the above status.
The Purpose of the Conference
- A forum to discuss proffesional drivers’ issues in this dynamic and resilient road transport sector following COVID19 pandamic and current global economic meltdown.
- Providing and preparing the sector for the need of professional drivers in the light of Oil and gas sector.
- To bring together commercial/professional drivers, to meet and interact with various industry stakeholders, to Network, and draw conclusions on collective responsibilities towards an improved road transport sector in Uganda.
- To honour and recognize companies and individuals who have managed, achieved, or contributed to road transport best practices, and champions of road safety practices in Uganda.
Anticipated Outcome of the Event
- National Consensus on achieving a safe, sustainable and profitable road transport best practices in Uganada.
- Stakeholders updated on national plans, opportunities and level of preparations towards the anticipated oil and gas sector in Uganada.
- Informed and enlightened stakeholders on their mandates and responsibilities towards achieving safer roads in Uganda.
- Fostered collaboration and motivated road transport stakeholders for future healthy competition towards excellent best practices in the sector.
This event will be made possible by our esteemed partners and sponsors who have passion to raise professional standards and road transport business excellence in Uganda. Our corporate partners and sponsors shall benefit from high profile visibility, opportunity to educate diverse audiences about their work and services, benefit from wide press coverage and a dedicated PR campaign, prominent placement of sponsor name and logo on our website, and other promotional materials, maximize their participation at the biggest National road transport stakeholders event; anticipated to reach more than 500 event participants under one roof.
- Practicing Bus Drivers and their Leaders.
- Practicing Truck Drivers and their Leaders.
- Practicing Omni-Bus Drivers and their leaders.
- Practicing Taxi Drivers.
- Practicing Special Hire Drivers.
- Practicing VIP Drivers (Oil and Gas,
- Tours and Travel, Embassies, etc)
- Government and related Agencies.
- Private Sector informal and formal
- Public Transport service providers (Transporters)
- Driver Recruitment Agencies in especially oil and Gas
- Government Ministries (Ministers) and Top Management
- Relevant Automotive Dealers and related product/service providers
- Licensed Commercial Driving Schools
Sponsorship packages are designed to give sponsors maximum value for their contirbutions whilst allowing them to promote their company/services. All whilst supporting this magnificent event. Below are details of the sponsorship opportunities available to businesses/institutions/organisations.
Two (2) sponsorship levels are available with a variety of opportunities ranging from UGX20,000,000 to UGX10,000,000. To participate as a partner, you can choose between UGX2,000,000 group package including an exhibition table or UGX300,000 per individual sponsored for attendence.
National Drivers’ Conference & Road Transport Stakeholders Excellence Awards 2022 Document is Available Here for Download.